Beomgyu Pushes KakaoTalk to Restore Feature After User Outcry

Beomgyu’s Frustration with KakaoTalk’s Major Update
Beomgyu, a member of the popular K-pop group Tomorrow X Together (TXT), recently voiced his dissatisfaction with a major update to KakaoTalk, one of South Korea's most widely used messaging apps. In a post on the fan community platform Weverse, he expressed his frustration, stating, “Please add a feature to revert to the previous version.” His comments reflect the growing concern among users who feel that the app has undergone significant changes without their consent.
On the 28th, Beomgyu shared his thoughts on the platform, writing, “Why does KakaoTalk update itself without asking?” He added, “I hate sudden changes the most, and the updated version is genuinely unbearable. I know I shouldn’t say this, but it’s really not good.” The singer went on to explain that he prefers more traditional, analog-style features and found the recent overhaul overwhelming. “If you’re going to update it without asking, at least let us revert to the old version. I already prefer analog things, and having so many changes at once is really tough.”
Beomgyu also pointed out that while he understands the need for updates to introduce new features, he feels the current design is counterproductive. “I understand updates need to add groundbreaking features. But now it’s harder to navigate. I don’t care about others’ profiles, yet they’re displayed like a gallery. They’ve only added unnecessary features.” His final message was a mix of criticism and appreciation: “An update no one likes? Who is this for? I admire the effort to innovate and update for users. I’m always grateful.”
Other Celebrities Voice Similar Concerns
Beomgyu’s comments were not isolated. Earlier in the week, singer Lee Young-ji also shared her frustrations with KakaoTalk’s update. On the 25th, she posted on her fan communication platform Bubble, expressing her resistance to the changes. “I resisted updating KakaoTalk, but is it okay to force this without user consent? No, please. It’s ugly.” She shared a screenshot of her KakaoTalk profile, writing, “Even the profile picture I set to Park Jae-bum’s during high school is now widely displayed. This is my KakaoTalk profile,” and vented, “I’m going to delete everything now.”
The update, which took place on the 23rd, redesigned the friend list tab to resemble Instagram. Previously, the friend list was organized alphabetically, similar to a phonebook. However, the new version displays profile pictures, background images, and posts in a feed format. It also introduced short-form video features, enhancing the app’s social media functionality.
User Reactions and Criticisms
The redesign has sparked a wave of backlash from users. Many have criticized the change, saying, “I now see photos of people I’m not close to” and “I’m forced to use social media features.” Some argue that the update deviates from the app’s core purpose as a messaging service, making it less intuitive and more cluttered.
Users have also raised concerns about privacy and personal space. With profile pictures and posts being displayed prominently, some feel that their online presence is being exposed in ways they did not anticipate. The shift from a simple, functional layout to a more visually driven interface has left many feeling overwhelmed and disconnected from the app’s original purpose.
The Broader Implications
The controversy surrounding KakaoTalk’s update highlights a broader issue in the tech industry—balancing innovation with user preferences. While companies often aim to enhance user experience through new features, the lack of user input can lead to dissatisfaction and even a loss of trust. For apps like KakaoTalk, which serve millions of users daily, any major change must be carefully considered to ensure it aligns with user expectations.
As more celebrities and everyday users voice their concerns, it remains to be seen whether KakaoTalk will address these issues or continue down its current path. For now, the conversation around the update continues to grow, reflecting the importance of user-centric design in the digital age.
Comments
Post a Comment