Survival in the Mines: The Story of Plateau's Young Miners

The Plight of Underage Miners in Plateau State
In the heart of Bassa Local Government Area, a 12-year-old boy named Umar Faruk shares his story with determination. "I come here to make money. I don't go to school or learn any skill," he says. "I have been mining for over a year. I use the money to buy food, clothes and shoes for myself. I also support my father with the money I make from tin mining." Umar is one of many underage miners in Plateau State, where children are abandoning education for the promise of financial gain.
Despite the harsh realities of life in the mines, Umar remains hopeful. "I hope to go back to school in the future and one day become a medical doctor and help my parents and others, especially my community." His words reflect a deep desire for a better future, even as he continues to work under the scorching sun.
Children gather at sandpits, digging and scooping sand to extract precious minerals. Their days begin as early as 7 am, with boys and girls aged between 10 and 16 heading to mining sites equipped with tools like diggers, containers, shovels, and hoes. These children search for tin, iron, and tantalite in various villages across Bassa, Jos North, Jos South, and Barkin Ladi local government areas.
Girls, too, are actively involved in mining, starting their day as early as 7 am. They cite similar reasons for their involvement: poverty, loss of parents, or the need to raise money for their education. According to the International Labour Organisation, at least one million children aged between 5 and 17 work in goldmines globally. In Nigeria, thousands of adults and children engage in such activities, often working long hours in dangerous conditions.
These children risk their health for little amounts of money they are paid at the open market for the tin they source. With most trading education for mining, it highlights the challenges in enforcing child labor laws in Nigeria. While the country has laws requiring basic education and prohibiting child labor, enforcement remains a significant challenge. Many miners use children they usually pay stipends, just to enable them put a meal on the table for a day.
In Anguwan Gurum community in Bassa Local Government Area, children walk one or two kilometers to the Alibras mining site to work long hours. Some accompany their parents to work in mining pits. The reasons for engaging in mining vary, but many cite economic hardship and lack of parental support. For some, it's a choice to abandon school in favor of making money.
Israel Bulus, a 13-year-old boy, explains, "I came to the mining site to earn money for my school fees and support my education. I want to continue with education because it is very important for a sustainable future, which I strive to have." His dream is to become a lawyer, but the reality of his situation is stark.
Faruk Musa, an 11-year-old orphan, is another example. He goes to school but not always because he raises money from mining to buy school materials and support his education and that of his younger sister. "I want to continue with my education up to the university level to become a naval officer in the future," he says.
A 9-year-old boy, Isma'il Haruna, who lost his father, wishes to go to school but lacks support. "I come to mine to get money for my education. I have been gathering the money. I use part of whatever I earn here to buy food and keep the remaining for my school expenses because I want to go to school, no matter what."
Parents also share their perspectives. Hamza Usman, the father of Umar Faruk, explains, "The truth is that I tried my best to ensure that my son got education, but he refused. He would wear his school uniform from home, but instead of going to school, he would go for mining." He decided to let him continue since he didn't want to attend school, explaining, "If I forced him to stop, he might fall into something worse."
Children face numerous dangers at mining sites, but they remain determined. Jonathan Musa, a 14-year-old, says, "When it rains, we do not run home. We have places where we can take shelter, especially in local tents. Sometimes we spend the night at the site if the situation permits or the rain continues into the night."
Maryam Isa, a 13-year-old girl and primary six pupil, works with her mother. She collects sand, washes it to separate the tin, and sells it. "Whatever my daughter and I collect, we sell and use the money for her school fees and household responsibilities," her mother, Aisha Isa, explains.
Tin traders, like Abubakar Gambo, note that children sell tin almost every day. "They bring it more often than the adults because they sell in small quantities, like 1kg, 2kg or even half kg, depending on what they were able to collect that day," he says.
Mining supervisors highlight that many of the children are orphans who lack proper family guidance. Pauline Ali, a mining survivor and crime consultant, notes, "Many of them won't be able to afford school fees, especially orphaned students in private schools."
Sunday Bitrus, a youth leader, condemns parents' involvement in mining, stating, "Minors shouldn't be here; the implications are severe. Some parents allow their children to mine due to economic struggles."
The government is taking steps to address the issue. Sunday Samuel Amuna, the executive chairman of the Plateau State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), confirms the impact of mining on school enrollment. "We have commenced sensitisation efforts, engaging community and traditional leaders to draw attention to the importance of education," he says.
Experts warn of the long-term consequences. Emmanuel Dang, a lecturer in the Faculty of Education, University of Jos, describes the situation as alarming. "When mining activities commence, these children flock to the sites. Some parents even celebrate when their children earn money from these activities, which is not a positive development."
The situation requires a multifaceted approach, with both the government and parents playing crucial roles. As the fight against underage mining continues, the hope remains that these children will find a path to a brighter future.
Comments
Post a Comment