Why I Left Church Music: Johnny Drille's Journey

A Journey from Church to Mainstream
Nigerian singer and songwriter, Johnny Drille, has shared his experiences of navigating the challenges of acceptance within the church community. Despite starting his musical journey in a religious setting, he has revealed that he never truly felt his unique sound was embraced there.
During a recent podcast appearance, the Mavin Records artist discussed his time as a music director in church. He explained that while he once held that role, he never felt that his music fit entirely within that environment.
“I didn’t feel like my music was predominantly in church. Every now and then, I get invited to churches to sing, which is kind of interesting,” he said.
Transitioning from Gospel to Mainstream Music
Drille also spoke about his transition from gospel to mainstream music, which led to some backlash from members of the Christian community. They questioned his new musical direction, but he remained confident in his artistic choices.
“I’ve gotten a bit of backlash from my Christian community every now and then when they invite me to churches. But at the end of the day, the music is positive. It speaks to good things that sometimes the church doesn’t want to talk about,” he explained.
As the crooner of “How Are You (My Friend),” Drille criticized how some churches avoid singing about love, despite it being a core part of human relationships and faith.
“The church shies away from talking about love. A lot of times you go for some Christian weddings and you hear Davido and Wizkid. What if the church decides that we want to start doing our own Christian love songs?” he added.
The Influence of Early Years
Reflecting on his early years, Drille shared how his time as a choir director shaped his skills as a musician, even though he rarely performed before congregations.
“There’s a place for worship music, right? But there’s also music about so much more that the church could be singing about. I was a music director, directing the choir, but I never really sang in front of the church. I think it helped me become the musician I am today in terms of my musicianship and performances,” he said.
The Role of Worship Music
Drille emphasized the importance of worship music, acknowledging its place in the spiritual journey of many. However, he also highlighted the broader scope of music that the church could explore.
His experience as a music director allowed him to develop a deep understanding of musical composition and performance, even if he didn’t take center stage during services.
Embracing a Broader Musical Vision
Despite the challenges, Drille remains committed to his artistic vision, believing that music should reflect the full spectrum of human emotions and experiences. His journey from the church to mainstream music showcases his resilience and dedication to his craft.
He continues to inspire audiences with his unique sound, bridging the gap between traditional worship and contemporary music. His story serves as a reminder that art can transcend boundaries and speak to the hearts of many.
Comments
Post a Comment